Below are some of the recent honours that have been awarded to our researchers.
- Head of Aboriginal Health, Professor Sandra Eades, was the recipient of the 2015 Lowitja Institute Research Leadership Award and University of Newcastle Indigenous Alumni Award.
- Professor Mark Cooper has become the first Australian to receive the prestigious Claude Bernard award from the European Association for the Study of Diabetes.
- Dr Catherine Chamberlain was recognised as the top-ranked applicant by an Indigenous researcher in the National Health and Medical Research Council’s Early Career Fellowship scheme.
- Hamid Hosseini was the recipient of the Young Investigator's Award at the Australian Atherosclerosis Society's Annual Meeting.
- Sam Keating won the award for the best oral presentation at the 17th Diabetes and Cardiovascular Risk Factors - East Meets West Symposium in Hong Kong.
- Dr Helena Qin was awarded the British Pharmacology Society’s Outstanding Young Investigator Prize at the international meet in December 2015.
- Diabetes researcher and clinician, Associate Professor Jonathan Shaw, was recognised with the inaugural Australian Diabetes Society’s Jeff Flack Diabetes Data Award. The award recognises an Australian researcher who has made an outstanding contribution to diabetes data collection.
- Yow Keat Tham was the recipient of the ISHR Student Publication Prize for the best original research article from a PhD student in the last 12 months at the annual Cardiac Society of Australia and New Zealand International Society for Heart Research conference in August 2015.
Baker Institute Awards
- The 2016 The Alice Baker and Eleanor Shaw Gender Equity Fellowship was awarded to Dr Bianca Bernardo.
- The 2016 Sir Laurance Muir Prize was awarded to Dr Pamela Davern.
- The 2016 recipients of support through the Bright Sparks Program.
- The Paul Korner Medal for Outstanding Achievement was awarded to Jessica Harding, Clinical Diabetes and Epidemiology, for outstanding achievement in her final year of PhD studies. The award was sponsored by David and Lisa Thurin.
- The John Funder Prize in 2015, sponsored by David and Lisa Thurin, was awarded to Darren Henstridge in the Cellular and Molecular Metabolism Laboratory.
- The Rod Andrew Prize in 2015, sponsored by David and Lisa Thurin, was awarded to Shanzana Kahn, in the Vascular Pharmacology Laboratory.
- Blue Illusion generously supported the inaugural 'Women in Science Award' in 2014, which was awarded to Dr Anna Calkin.
- The work of Dr Andrew Murphy and his group was cited in the top ten metabolism discoveries in the past decade by the highly prestigious journal, Cell Metabolism.
- Professor Paul Zimmet was named one of the world's most influential scientific minds and Professor Neville Owen a highly cited researcher by Thomson Reuters based on its analysis of data over the past 11 years.