The Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute is committed to providing an integrated, client centred approach to diabetes management.
You can expect:
- Quality health care tailored to your individual needs and provided without discrimination.
- Respect for your privacy and dignity.
- Explanations and care plans that are clear and understandable, and supported by appropriate interpreter services where necessary.
- That information about your health care will be treated confidentially in accordance with your consent.
- That relevant clinical information which assists your management will be sent promptly to your nominated GP.
- Access to your own health care record, in accordance with the protocols specified in current legislation.
- Informed participation in decisions relating to your health care.
- The choice to make an appointment with an alternative Doctor or allied health professional.
- The right to choose whether or not to participate in an authorised research project for which you are eligible.
- The right to decline to be seen by a student health professional.
- That you can withdraw from treatment or participation in research at any time.
- To be accompanied by family members or another person who can act as an advocate or a support to you.
- That if you make a complaint it will be investigated seriously. The Institute values suggestions and feedback as part of our commitment to constantly improving the service we deliver.
- That fees will be clearly explained to you.
- The right to provide feedback on your experience.
- Right to contact the Health complaints commissioner 1300 582 113.
To achieve maximum benefit from the our services, we ask that you take responsibility for:
- Your need to continually learn about diabetes management, so you can best manage it on a daily basis and share in decisions about your health.
- Providing accurate information to us about issues which affect your healthcare.
- Asking for clarification when you don’t understand our instructions or advice.
- Keeping appointments as scheduled. When this is not possible, you need to advise us by phone as early as possible.
- Pay fees agreed to.
Last revised: 20 March 2018